The Department has a wide range of functions in relation to roads. These include:
- Overseeing and supporting sustainable investment in the national, regional and local road programmes
- Overseeing the effective implementation of the roads element of the Capital Plan 2016-2022 and the National Development Plan (NDP)
- Providing funding for the national roads programme
- Monitoring and oversight of Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) expenditure and providing policy guidance
- The legal framework relating to the provision and maintenance of roads
- Providing funding to and oversight of the regional roads programme
- Amending the Roads Acts 1993-2015 as necessary and transposing relevant EU Directives
- Supporting the development and rollout of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) and electronic tolling in Ireland in respect of roads.
Our overall objective
To provide, within the framework of a balanced and integrated transport policy, for the safe, efficient and cost effective movement of persons and goods by road.
Specific objectives to:
- Ensure as far as possible, the provision of a safe and efficient network of national roads
- Ensure as far as possible, the provision of a safe and efficient network of regional and local roads
- Play an effective role in the EU legislative and decision making process
- Ensure the optimum and safe use of the public road network.